Self care is a trendy topic, but what does it really mean? Is it really all about bubble baths and massages? The short answer is no, but to read more about that check out this post about the important of self care for moms. When we give and give and give without taking time to fill ourselves back up, our bodies and our emotions will give us warning signs that we are overdue for some good quality self care. So what are some signs that you need some self care?
20 Signs You Need Some Self Care:
- Feeling fatigued, exhausted, or depleted
- Feeling like you’re at the end of your rope
- Feeling physically run down
- Having a short fuse – being on the verge of snapping or crying
- Feeling exceptionally irritable, cranky, or grumpy
- Feeling down, sad, or discouraged without being able to pinpoint a reason
- Finding that activities that were supposed to be fun create frustration instead
- Feeling disconnected from the important people in your life
- Feeling so rushed and scattered that you have a hard time finishing a complete thought, sentence, or conversation
- Having a hard time being emotionally present and engaged in the moment
- Feeling more anxious than usual
- Overreacting to small things
- Mood swings
- Lack of joy or peace
- Having trouble relaxing
- Finding yourself withdrawing from close relationships
- Binge watching TV, overeating, or overspending in an effort to boost your mood
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Feeling like you have nothing else to give
- Feeling like you’re constantly in survival mode
Self care doesn’t have to be expensive or incredibly time consuming. Self care just means taking time to meet your own needs. It is SO vitally important to motherhood because you cannot give what you do not have. If your cup is empty, you can’t expect to be able to pour anything of value out of it for your family. You have to take time to fill your cup on a regular basis. For simple ideas for real self care see this post.
If you’ve read this list and felt like it sounds a little too familiar, take the 7 Day Rest Challenge with me. Sign up in the box below to be added to the group of mamas who are saying “yes” to his invitation to rest!